Arts District Guide
Watson's dog-friendly guide on where to eat, drink, shop and what to do in the fun & hip Arts District area of Downtown Los Angeles.
Arts District Downtown LA
This area is so fun & hip in Downtown Los Angeles. There are a ton of places to eat & drink and it's just a great place to hang. Not to mention hundreds of murals to find! You'll notice there's a lot of overlap with my Venice Guide, because the areas cater to the same clientele ;).
One word to the wise: leave yourself a lot of time for parking, or prepare to pay $10-20 for a lot. Parking is more sparse than most areas in LA over here, so just be prepared.
WHAT TO DO / SHOP:
- Mural hunt! DUH. SO SO SO many murals over here, you really can't go wrong. [dog friendly]
- Walk on over to Little Tokyo [dog friendly]
- Go over to The Row - this is a little bit down the road from Arts District so you'd need to drive, but I'm talking like a 3 minute drive. Tons of stores and murals over here, plus Smorgasburg every Sunday (see To Eat below) [dog friendly]
- Poketo - I love this store so much!!! Really cute home goods & jewelry. I'm lucky they just installed one in Culver City too, but you must stop here if you're in Arts District. [dog friendly]
- Malin + Goetz - I fell in love with their products when staying at the Hotel San Cristobal on our trip to Todos San last year. Everything smells amazing and is good for your skin too. [dog friendly] tos
WHERE TO EAT:
- Zinc Cafe - by far my fave place to eat when in the Arts District area. Really great American fare and wonderful atmosphere (dog friendly inside!). You can order at the bar and seat yourself outside or have full table service. [dog friendly]
- Wurstkuche - just like the one in Venice, go here for delicious sausages, fries & beer! They have an assortment of different mustards to use which makes me happy way more than it should. You can also draw on the table! [dog friendly]
- Pie Hole - omg pie. Sweet pies, savory pies, hand pies. I can’t recommend the Mac & cheese pie enough!
- Cafe Gratitude - namaSLAY. I mentioned this place in my Venice Guide and the DTLA location is just as good & boujee. The cutest LOVE wall is at this one though, which puts it slightly above Venice in my book. [dog friendly]
- Urth Caffe - I love this place!! Delicious salads, sandwiches, coffee & tea drinks. And pumpkin pie!! [dog friendly]
- Smorgasburg - as mentioned above this isn't exactly in the Arts District, but must be mentioned because it's AWESOMEEEE. Smorgasburg is a street market that we stole from Brooklyn. So many good food vendors from all over LA (read: amazing desserts). Just wear a hat, because it gets hot over here. FYI this is NOT dog friendly, even though you'd think it would be.
- Yxta - really great Mexican food but a bit of a walk through some sketchyyyyy areas, so may want to take a $5 Lyft ;).
- Salt & Straw - another Venice staple that's recently opened up in the Arts District too.
WHERE TO DRINK:
- Angel City Brewery - this is the dog friendliest spot to drink at in all the land! Most dog parties we have happen here because the dogs are allowed inside as well as outside. Very warehouse-y looking inside full of games to play (cornhole, jenga etc.) and always has food trucks outside. [dog friendly]
- Everyone Royce Bar (ERB) - we LOVE this place. Fun outdoor patio and cool indoor section too. Really delicious cocktails and some food too. [dog friendly]
- The Resident - you can't go wrong here. They have frose. I think I've said enough? [dog friendly]
- Arts District Brewing - great beer, even better food & skeeball machines live here. Aka you should definitely go! [dog friendly patio]
- Groundwork - as I mentioned in my Venice Guide, this is my fave coffee stop in LA. Cashew nut milk FTW!
- Blue Bottle - another coffee shop I mentioned in my Venice Guide. DTLA location is equally awesome!
- Bulletproof Coffee - if you're in for some strong-ass coffee, go here! It's right by a bunch of walls too.
- Villain's Tavern - this one of my first bars that I went to in LA. It's got great vibes for an indoor/outdoor spot and live music is there frequently.
- EightyTwo - ARCADE BAR!!!!!! 80s themed too so all your fave games: Duck Hunt, Pacman, Street Fighter and tons of pinball machines. Warning though the bar situation kind of sucks here. It's a tiny bar so the line gets really long and unruly. I recommend getting 2 drinks for yourself at a time so you can play more games!
Google My Maps:
Use this map to go on a wall crawl of your own!
All of the murals are in dark pink, shops are in purple, places to drink are in teal and place to eat are in blue.
Find me on the gram: